For those not in the know, otherkin are people who are reincarnations of past lives that were non-human, usually also defined as a species not thought to be native to earth, although Angelkin are included in this definition even though they are native to earth. Among otherkin the most popular claims are Angelkin, Faekin, Demonkin, Elfkin, and Dragonkin, in that order. Relative to the population, otherkin are relatively rare. Still you put seven billion people on a planet, you’re going to end up with a sizeable chunk of otherkin, and they’re going to be more predisposed to alternate spiritualities, so if you’re active in the community, you have a good chance of meeting one. Still the vast majority of people in the community, even among adepts or spiritual masters, are human through and through.
A large amount of people do claim to be otherkin though. Although a few might be outright liars, most are just troubled people who wanted it to be true so badly that they convinced themselves that it was. Being otherkin feeds a fantasy of escape from their mundane and sometimes difficult lives, it let’s them feel special (without having actually earned that specialness), and it justifies why life hasn’t worked out so well for them. It’s a variation of the theme where people have convinced themselves they have major psychological disorders like autism or a learning disability despite never being diagnosed as such. Just like those disorders, real otherkin often find themselves faced with major issues in their life because of what they are, especially in terms of socialization and fitting in with normal society, because they’re operating with an (at least partially) alien logic, alien emotional spectrum, and alien energy. schizophrenic also operate on an alien logic. Sociopath operate on an alien emotional spectrum. Those groups also have issues with socialization and fitting into society.
The main point of this series of articles is to give some tips on how to tell the real otherkin from the fake ones. Maybe, also, someone who identifies otherkin will give this a read through and finally find the proof they needed, or more likely take a long look at how they identify themselves and the fact that maybe they were mistaken. I’ll definitely go over Angelkin and Faekin, since I understand these species and their kin very well, and am always able to spot them immediately. I’m not as well versed in Dragons and Elves, and mainly rely on the energy and what I do understand of the logic to identify them, but I may eventually give them a try. Demons are not worth doing, because if someone claims to be a Demonkin they are almost certainly faking. Demonkin are extraordinarily rare, so much so that I’m unsure if there’s even one on the planet. Impkin exist, and almost always identify themselves as Demonkin, but even those are very rare even among otherkin.
To start, here are a few tips to tell which are real that is pretty much universal among otherkin. Do remember though that everyone is different, and all otherkin also possess a human aspect which is 100% normal human when taken by itself, so none of these rules are hard and fast, just guidelines. The energy never lies though.
1. Possesses a non-human energy signature - If you meet a Demon, an Angel, a Fae, whatever, you can always tell that these things are what they are by their energy signature. There’s a specific kind of energy that all Angels emit, and there’s one for all Fae too, and for everything else. Even animals have specific energy signatures that are unique to their species. Otherkin always retain some aspect of their former self and so they always emit the energy signature of their previous species to some degree, some so powerfully they can easily be mistaken for what they were instead of what they are. The energy signature is very difficult to fake, and most things and people that can won’t bother, and are generally self-aware enough to know for sure whether or not they’re an otherkin. The very best way to identify an otherkin is by their energy signature. If you know the energy signature of the species well enough, you can always tell for sure if they are the real thing or not.
2. Possesses a non-human logic - In addition to the energy signature, otherkin also possess a non-human logical base. They don’t think like normal people do, and they don’t understand the world in the same way. This is why, to a lot of people at least, spirits of the same species seem an awful lot alike. Within their species they have personalities as varied as humans, but we’re largely drawn to the part of them that is the most different from us, and the most difficult for us to understand. If you understand the logic of a species, you can usually identify whether or not someone is otherkin by the way they interpret that logic. Very few fake Angelkin are able to get their logic right. Even though Fae seem a lot simpler to understand to me, I’ve never seen fake Faekin that got it right.
Logic isn’t foolproof though. If someone understands a certain type of spirit, and they’ve spent a large amount of time with that type of spirit, and they’re fairly intelligent they can sometimes fake it. Otherkin are also part human, and that human part may be suppressing the otherkin part, or they may have just figured out how to hide it very well. This is especially true after they’ve been incarnated many times over as human. Also this is the sort of thing that extensive therapy and medication can sometimes normalize. So an otherkin may not show the logic, because they happen to have a good therapist or psychiatrist.
3. Has trouble socializing and fitting in - Real otherkin often times find it difficult to socialize, to have relationships with friends, and to do things like get along in school or hold down a job. It’s often difficult for them to understand the world and how it operates, and what is expected of them in order to fit in. This isn’t a hard rule, some are very well adjusted, especially after many incarnations. This is also usually true of fake otherkin, because the kind of person who is drawn towards believing they’re otherkin probably has some of these same issues.
4. Doesn’t long to go home - Just about any fake otherkin will talk, at length, about how they’re eventually going to go back to their home world where they belong in some future incarnation. That’s part of the escapist fantasy that leads non-otherkin to self identify as such. Very few real otherkin will ever mention going home. Usually by the time most are spiritually advanced enough to realize what they are, they’re spiritually advanced enough to realize they are never going home.
Otherkin aren’t some sort of spiritual astronauts exploring other realms. Things don’t normally go incarnate on different worlds. If something jumps worlds and species like that, there’s usually a pretty good reason for it, one that didn’t leave them any other alternative. Either they could not stay where they were from, or their previous species failed to provide them with something they spiritually needed. In any case their spiritual path lies ahead of them, and their current incarnation is a spiritual growth for them. They should be going forward, not back to what they were.
If you look at past lives, even fake ones, people don’t want to go back to who they were. Out of all the people who claim to have been Cleopatra in a past life, none of them want to be Cleopatra again after they die. There’s a reason for that. It doesn’t make sense that actual otherkin would want to go back to their past selves. People don’t think, or grow, like that.
So let’s get into some specifics that only apply to Angelkin that will help you identify one:
1. An Angelkin will never found or attend an Angelkin group - Angels don’t enjoy each other’s company. Angels don’t have the normal human spectrum of emotions. Many emotions that are common among humans are never felt by angels, and Angels feel a wide variety of emotions that, under normal circumstances, humans never will. One of these emotions triggers when an Angel is in close proximity to another Angel, and it’s best described as an overwhelming urge to beat the crap out of the other Angel. The same way humans can suppress their emotions instead of acting on them, an Angel can suppress this emotion, but it’s very uncomfortable for them to do so. Because of this, Angels don’t like to be around each other. The emotion is triggered by Angelic energy, which Angelkin also possess. Angelkin will feel this same emotion, just like Angels do.
So for a real Angelkin, to be around others of their kind is a very uncomfortable situation, and a sort of personal hell. It’s not something they would willing do unless they had to, or it served some important purpose or helped them reach some goal. They wouldn’t do it just to connect with others like them, and maybe have a few laughs.
So anytime you see an Angelkin group, whether its online or an actual meet-up, every single person in that group is not an Angelkin.
2. An Angelkin will not evoke Angels, usually - There’s a lot of magic out there that involves Angel evocations. Protective circles and banishing rituals commonly make use of Angels. You can also straight up evoke them if you want, just like a demon or anything else. Some fake Angelkin will take to owning their Angel aspects and constantly evoke Angels in their magic, just to prove how Angelific they are.
Actual Angelkin will usually go out of their way not to evoke Angels. There are of course exceptions. In a dire emergency it might be worth it to evoke an Angel. And sometimes a person might actually need to speak to a specific Angel, especially if they have a past life history with that Angel. But under normal circumstances, an Angelkin won’t be evoking Angels, and will usually modify any magic to remove Angelic evocations.
Of course there’s the reason above, that Angels don’t like each other and don’t want to be around each other, and this extends to Angelkin. Also, for the same reason, when an Angelkin just evokes an Angel for no good reason, there’s a good chance they’ll end up in a fight. Not only are Angels compelled to beat the crap out of each other, it’s part of how they socially interact with each other.
There’s a more important reason why Angelkin don’t like evoking Angels too. Angels don’t like Angelkin. I don’t mean emotionally, but on a cultural level. Angels are proud of what they are. They’re proud of what they do and their place in the universe, and see themselves as fulfilling an essential role. For an Angel, dismissing that role and not doing what you’re supposed to do is one of the most vile and disgusting acts imaginable. Angelkin got to be Angelkin by not being Angels anymore, and Angels will usually despise them for it.
So if an Angelkin isn’t getting the crap beat out of them, they’re getting some lecture about what a worthless piece of shit they are and how they’ve made horrible decisions and how they really should go back to being what they were.
So for them it’s like every conversation you’ll have with your parents after you’ve dropped out of college.
3. An Angelkin won’t normally announce themselves - If an Angelkin tells you they’re an Angelkin, most likely they’ve identified you an Angel or Angelkin, they’re threatening you, or they’ve developed a very close and intimate relationship with you. Otherwise they probably won’t bring it up, and may even attempt to hide it if asked directly. They may claim to not be otherkin, or not know what kind of otherkin they are, or just plain not want to talk about what kind of otherkin they are.
As stated, Angels are very proud of what they are. No matter what sort of situation led an Angelkin to stop being an Angel, one of two thing is true. Either they’re no longer proud of what they were, or they’re ashamed of what they’ve become.
Of course that’s a simplification. An Angelkin may be going through all sorts of emotions trying to figure out their place in the universe, if not being an Angel is right or wrong, and there may be both elements of being an Angel and elements of being an Angelkin that they’re proud of, and that they’re ashamed of.
However the whole thing is typically a very personal ordeal and full of strong emotions, some of them very negative and directed at themselves, and so it isn’t the sort of thing that most people just go around announcing. For example, it would be very unlikely that an Angelkin would stand up at an otherkin meetup full of strangers and say their name and that they identify as Angelkin.
Gandalf (not his real name): Hi, my name is Gandalf, and I’m an Angelkin. In my past life, I served the god Zeus.
Group: Hi Gandalf.
Lord Fuzzlebottom: Hi, I’m Lord Fuzzlebottom, and I’m an alcoholic.
Group Leader: C’mon people, let’s stop with that joke. It got old like ten meetups ago.
Of course, there are reasons why an Angelkin might just announce themselves. It’s common for Angels to announce exactly what they are prior to an attack. It’s part of how they threaten and intimidate. The cultural aspect may carry over to Angelkin, and they may be announcing themselves before they even realize what they’re doing, or might not even care when they’re thrown into battle and start regressing aspects of their past self. Likewise it would be a show of respect, a common courtesy, not to hide what they are from other Angels, including Angelkin.
4. An Angelkin never served - A lot of fake Angelkin will tell you how they served under a certain god. The main source of Angel mythology is Christian mythology, which paints a picture of Angels serving under the Hebrew god and Jesus. Some supposed Angelkin may consider themselves Christian angels, where as those with a more Pagan leaning may just suppose that every deity has Angels, and that Angels serve deities, so they pick a cool deity they like to have served under.
Any Angelkin who says they’ve served under a god is not a real Angelkin.
If there is a manual out there about being an angel, the sort of thing that every angel has to read to know how to act and behave, the very first line of the very first page is going to have in giant bold letter the sentence, “Angels do not serve.”
Angels do not serve anything. Not people, not Gods, not Demons, not other Angels, not Satan (even if they are ‘fallen’), not Jesus, not institutions, not spirits, not religions. Angels do not serve.
The specifics delve deeply into Angelic culture, logic, and their emotional base, so much so it would be difficult to go into it. The gist is that Angels believe very strongly in certain ideals, and they also believe themselves to be incorruptible, and at least in regard to serving their ideals perfect. To some degree there is truth. You can not bargain with an Angel, reason with it, it won’t compromise, there’s nothing it can be tempted with, and you can’t coerce it with threats. Even if you’re vastly more powerful than an Angel, if you attempt to beat the crap out of it to get it to do what you want it will just keep fighting you until you finally kill it.
From an Angel’s point of view, they are perfect in serving their ideals. Gods, by definition, are imperfect, and even if they weren’t, there’s no reason why they would necessarily follow the ideals of Angels. Therefor Gods aren’t to be trusted as commanders. Angels need only trust in themselves to know the right thing to do. They don’t need to be told what to do by a superior.
Angels won’t even serve other Angels. Part of that is because an Angel may have been corrupted, and Angels can only know that they themselves haven’t been corrupted, not others, so they will only trust themselves. Plus, even among uncorrupted Angels, there are differences of opinions at time, and Angels don’t compromise.
Granted there is a lot of collusion between the Hebrew god, Jesus, and certain angels. This is largely a matter of these parties working towards the same goals. Angels are more than willing to do what you want them to do, so long as its also what they want to do. They also aren’t going to be very upset about not getting the credit for their actions, or the fact that they’re labeled as servants (so long as that doesn’t hurt their overall goals). As said, they have a different emotional base.
However the whole relationship between Angels and Christianity is far more complex, but not something worth getting into.
5. An Angelkin will understand the hierarchy and how its used - The hierarchy is one thing about Angels an awful lot of people have heard about. It’s something we know about because certain ancient magicians got this information from spirits they conversed with. However they may not of really understood the information, so they may not have explained it well, so now we have fake Angelkin just throwing it out there in ways that doesn’t make sense.
First off, this hierarchy thing isn’t a real hierarchy, not the way in which we understand that word. It isn’t like the rank of power in the European feudal system, or a chart of what rank commands what like in the military. It’s actually more like a family tree, except Angels don’t reproduce sexually, so it isn’t based on genetics.
There are actually two separate hierarchies. One of them, the main one, includes every Angel in the entire multiverse that has ever been, including former angels that have become kin. Actually when we say every Angel in the multiverse, we mean the ones that originated in the higher realms. There is a lower realm equivalent to Angels, however those aren’t quite exactly Angels. There are of course Angels that have ended up incarnated in the lower realms, but this will never happen to most Angels and kin. We’re getting off topic.
Anyways this hierarchy serves a few purposes. When two Angels meet, they introduce themselves by saying who they are and who is around them in the hierarchy. There are Angels above, Angels below, and there are lateral moves. The main point of this exercise is for the two Angels, if they are strangers, to start naming Angels in the hierarchy that they Know of until they find an Angel in common. This let’s them determine what their relationship is to each other, and more importantly in a situation who actually has dominion.
Angels do follow a complicated system of dominions where who is able to act is dependent on their position in the hierarchy. Placement in the hierarchy is power based (Angels determine their place by beating the crap out of each other to see who’s stronger), but ability to act is not. For example, an Archangel is extraordinarily powerful and holds a very large dominion over their planet. However in some situations a very small, weak, and mostly insignificant Angel may actually have dominion to act over the Archangel, simply because their lower position gives them dominion in that specific situation over a much higher positioned Angel. Getting off topic again.
An announcement of hierarchies is a common greeting among Angels, sort of like saying hello to each other. However even when Angels do know each other, they still announce hierarchies, because it’s a show of respect. Angels are proud of what they are, and by spouting off the hierarchy they’re announcing that they’ve identified someone else as an Angel, which to an Angel is the highest compliment they can pay someone.
Because of this some Angels will spout out the hierarchy to Angelkin. They do this as a general show of respect. Even though an Angel may disagree with an Angelkin and despise their choices, sometimes they may also have reasons to respect them. It’s very complicated to explain, but Angelic culture is largely based on respect and proper shows of respect, so it happens.
Real Angelkin generally won’t remember much of the hierarchy, if they remember any of it. It’s hard to regress specific things like that, and if they could regress it their puny human brains probably couldn’t memorize all that information. So a real Angelkin probably won’t be able to tell you much about their place in the hierarchy, or may only know a few general things about it.
If they’ve regressed the hierarchy at all though, they should know what it is and how it’s used. They won’t be claiming it works like a real hierarchy, or that it’s a simple tree.
Likewise an Angelkin, like an actual Angel, isn’t going to be spouting off information about the hierarchy to you. Angels only mention it (sometimes) to spirits and people that have a curiosity and want to know what it is, and they only ever spout it off to other Angels and sometimes Angelkin. There’s no reason for your dumbass to know their place in the hierarchy, and they won’t go over it with you anyways since its an undo show of respect if you’re not Angel or kin.
6. Angelkins are violent - Angels were built to be warriors. They are violent spirits. They’re one of the most violent things you’ll find outside of the lower realms. Angels were put in this universe to beat the crap out of things. That’s their nature.
Angelkin almost always retain this nature, at least to some degree. Angelkin are rarely pacifistic, and when they are they are going directly against their nature. It’s much more common to find Angelkin that think with their fists and rarely look for other non-violent solutions to problems.
An Angelkin that tells you that they were a peaceful Angel or some sort of healer is a faker. Even an Angelkin that’s struggling to be a pacifist and trying to find alternate solutions knows that as an Angel they beat the crap out of things and that’s what Angels do.